Monday, August 27, 2012

Classic Teen Book Discussion


Classics Teen Book Discussion at the Accokeek Library.  It will start on Tues., Sept. 18th, 2:30 pm.  We will meet the third Tuesday of each month.  The Sept. book will be Richter's, The Light in the Forest.  I have tried to select books that teens have to have read before college and that are reflective of history and different cultures.  Please rsvp me asap so I can register your teen (13-18).  I am looking forward to an exciting year of reading! 

Anne-Marie Ramsey
Manager
Accokeek Library
(301) 292-2880
15773 Livingston Rd.
Accokeek, MD 20607


CLASSICS TEEN BOOK DISCUSSION – THIRD TUES. OF EACH MONTH, 2:30 PM
SEPT.  18 – Conrad Richter’s, A Light in the Forest   (Native American)
OCT. 16  – Chinua  Achebe’s, Things Fall Apart         (Africa)
NOV.  20 – Edgar Burroughs’, Tarzan of the Apes    (Rainforest off Coast of Africa)
DEC. 18  -  Stephen Crane’s, The Red Badge of Courage  (Civil War)
JAN. 15  - Randa Abdel-Fattah’s, Does My Head Look Big In This? (Palestian girl in Australia)
FEB. 19 – Anne Frank’s, The Diary of a Young Girl – (Jewish girl in Holland during the Holocaust)
MAR.  19 – John Hersey’s, Hiroshima (Japan)
APR. 16  – Suzanne Fisher Staples’, Shabanu: Daughter of the Wind ( Muslim girl in Pakistan)
MAY 21  – Daniel Keyes’, Flowers for Algernon

1 comment:

  1. I participated in this class last year when they where reading some of Charles Dickens books. We discussed "Hard Times", "Oliver Twist", my personal favorite "A Tale of Two Cities", and of course, "A Christmas Carol" to name a few. I had a really good time and found some of Dickens books to be better than I expected them to be. Ms. Anne is a Wonderful teacher and I wish I could take her class this year.
    -Blue Topaz, Age 13

    ReplyDelete